vent code: 79082
The Security of Payment Act facilitates payments for construction work done or for related goods/services supplied in the building and construction industry. It aims to improve cash flow in the construction industry by giving parties the right to seek progress payments for work done, and to provide quick and low-cost resolution of payment disputes through adjudication.
The course provides an overview of the key essentials in the Security of Payment legislation. It aims to enhance participants’ understanding on the mechanism, requirements and considerations of the Security of Payment Act and discusses payment issues typically encountered in building and construction projects.
OVERVIEW OF THE SECURITY OF PAYMENT ACT (SOPA)
PRINCIPLES AND APPLICATION OF THE SOPA
• “Pay when Paid” and “Pay if Paid” Provisions
CONSIDERATIONS OF THE SOPA
• Making a Payment Claim
• Responding to a Payment Claim
- Authorised Nominating Body
- Adjudication Review
- Effects of Adjudication
• Measures to Enforce Payment
• Timelines in the Act
MR PALLIPURATHU GOPINATHAN ROY is currently a Senior Manager for a Fortune 500 multinational construction company. For the last 20 years, he has been involved in all facets of commercial, contractual and dispute management for building and civil engineering works in Singapore. His portfolio of dispute avoidance and resolution, commercial management, procurement advice and contract management experience spans a wide variety of complex building, engineering, tunnelling and infrastructure projects. He is known as a leading contracts practitioner in the local construction industry with profound knowledge of the field. Roy is regularly identified by his peers as a heavyweight in contracts administration with a bona fide reputation. He has a distinctive approach and knack for interpreting the provisions of the contract and displays great acumen in this field. He is well positioned to advise the top management on all aspects of construction and project work from inception to completion, including the drafting of various forms of construction and project documentation.
• Quantity Surveyors
• Builders and Contractors
• Project Directors and Project Managers
• Contract Managers and Administrators
• Personnel involved in administering construction contracts
Certificate of Attendance will be awarded to participants who meet the attendance requirement.
8th Run: 22 Jul 2019
Duration: 1 day
Time: 9.00am to 5.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST): S$420.00
Refreshments will be provided.
In keeping with our green and sustainable practices, course notes will be available in e-format.
To register, please log into our Online StoreFront (OSF) at
and search for course code 79082
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S(579700) • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: email@example.com • www.bcaa.edu.sg
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) The company and individual applicant has read and understood the terms and conditions. 2) The company and individual applicant warrant that the particulars given are accurate. 3) The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) can disclose to other government agencies any information relating to this application. 4) Payment for the course must be made to BCA before the course commencement date. 5) Any Direct Debit and Direct Credit Authorisation for GIRO applications previously signed and passed to BCA will apply to payments made under this course. 6) BCA reserves the right to accept or reject the application for whatever reason. 7) BCA shall at its discretion allocate a space to the registered applicant, based on availability. 8) BCA reserves the right to amend any details relating to the course, revise the course fees without prior notice, cancel or postpone the course. 9) No deferment is allowed. 10) Request for withdrawal must be made in writing. Requests are subject to approval by BCA and administration fee: Written request for withdrawal that reaches BCA - At least 2 weeks before the course commencement date: 10% of course fee is payable. - Less than 2 weeks but more than 3 working days before the course commencement date: 25% of course fee is payable. - 3 working days or less before the course commencement date: full course fee is payable. 11) No Replacement is allowed for funded participants. 12) The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points indicated for any course offered by BCA is subject to change and final approval by the relevant professional accreditation bodies. 13) Funding and subsidies offered by BCA or third party organisations for the courses are subject to approval. The company must make the application for funding and subsidies. BCA is not to be held liable and the company agrees to pay BCA the applicable funding amount if funding and subsidies are either granted at a reduced amount, not granted at all or if funding is revoked, for whatever reason. 14) All information, materials, services, intellectual property and other property and rights provided by BCA during the course are provided on an “as is” basis. BCA makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, as to any matter, and all such warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly disclaimed. 15) The materials supplied to the company and individual applicant for the course (“Materials”) are for their personal reference only and the company and individual applicant is not supposed to otherwise use the Materials. The company and individual applicant shall defend and indemnify BCA and its officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liability, damage, loss or expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) imposed upon BCA in connection with any claim arising out of the company and individual applicant’s use of the Materials. 15) Re-assessment fee is applicable for those who are required to re-take the assessment. 16) I consent to BCA, BCA Academy, and BCA’s employees contacting me via my contacts (including email addresses and mobile numbers) to market future courses, seminars, conduct surveys, circulate publications (i.e. magazines, periodicals etc). If you wish to withdraw your consent to any use or disclosure of your personal data as set out above, you may contact us. PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence and notices addressed to BCA are to be sent to BCA Academy. Photographs of attendees will be taken at the event for our publicity materials, newsletters and other publications.