Event code: 76084
Various challenges are present in pile foundation works due to the uncertainties and variability of the ground conditions. Once the piles are installed, they are expected to function throughout their lifetime. During the lifetime of the building, the foundation is rarely inspected for its continued structural integrity and stability. Supervision of piling works for building foundation is therefore essential and critical in ensuring the quality of construction works and safety of building structures. This short course imparts to participants the essential knowledge of good construction practices, supervision of piling works, regulatory requirements and testing of pile foundation works.
Supervision of piling works
• Obligations to supervise
• Current codes and standards for piling works
Site conditions and preparation for piling work
• Local ground conditions
• Basics of piled foundation design and design considerations
Types of piles and installation methods
• Small displacement piles
• Large displacement piles
• Driven, push-in and bored installation methods
• Problems associated with different pile types
Types of tests on piles
• Types of load test on piles
• Common problems in pile load tests and their implications
• Conduct of static pile load tests
Local piling practices
• Supervision requirements
• Common problems in pile construction and their implications
• Quality control measures
• Building Control Act and Regulations
• Requirements of Supervision
• Piling layout plans
• Site records
ER YANG KIN SENG was a former Director with the Building and Construction Authority, regulating and overseeing the safety of buildings and geotechnical building works under construction in Singapore, and headed the Singapore Geological Office. Er. Yang has also served with the now-defunct Public Works Department as Assistant Chief Civil Engineer, Head (Roads, Planning and Design) and Head of Geotechnical Engineering, Site Investigation, Instrumentation and Laboratories. He was the Chief Project Manager (Singapore) for the Singapore-Malaysia Second Crossing. He has published more than 40 papers in International conferences and seminars, and peer-reviewed journals. He co-chaired the SPRING (Singapore) Eurocodes Review Advisory Committee, and the Technical Committee on Civil and Geotechnical Works. He is a Professional Engineer and a Specialist Professional Engineer registered with the Professional Engineers’ Board, and a Specialist Accredited Checker whilst in Building and Construction Authority.
• Practicing Structural & Geotechnical Engineers
• Resident Engineers
• Resident Technical Officers
• Site Engineers
• Construction Managers
• Site Investigation Professionals
• Others who would like an update on site investigation practices
28th Run: To be confirmed
Duration: 4 evenings (12 hours)
Time: 6.30pm to 9.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST): S$735.00
Refreshments will be provided.
In keeping with our green and sustainable practices, course notes will be available in e-format.
Certificate of Attendance (COA) will be awarded to participants who meet the attendance requirement.
IES-ACES : Pending (Structural)
To register, please log into our Online StoreFront (OSF) at
and search for course code 76084
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S579700 • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: email@example.com • www.bcaa.edu.sg
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) The company and individual applicant has read and understood the terms and conditions. 2) The company and individual applicant warrant that the particulars given are accurate. 3) The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) can disclose to other government agencies any information relating to this application. 4) Payment for the course must be made to BCA before the course commencement date. 5) Any Direct Debit and Direct Credit Authorisation for GIRO applications previously signed and passed to BCA will apply to payments made under this course. 6) BCA reserves the right to accept or reject the application for whatever reason. 7) BCA shall at its discretion allocate a space to the registered applicant, based on availability. 8) BCA reserves the right to amend any details relating to the course, revise the course fees without prior notice, cancel or postpone the course. 9) No deferment is allowed. 10) Request for withdrawal must be made in writing. Requests are subject to approval by BCA and administration fee: Written request for withdrawal that reaches BCA - At least 2 weeks before the course commencement date: 10% of course fee is payable. - Less than 2 weeks but more than 3 working days before the course commencement date: 25% of course fee is payable. - 3 working days or less before the course commencement date: full course fee is payable. 11) No Replacement is allowed for funded participants. 12) The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points indicated for any course offered by BCA is subject to change and final approval by the relevant professional accreditation bodies. 13) Funding and subsidies offered by BCA or third party organisations for the courses are subject to approval. The company must make the application for funding and subsidies. BCA is not to be held liable and the company agrees to pay BCA the applicable funding amount if funding and subsidies are either granted at a reduced amount, not granted at all or if funding is revoked, for whatever reason. 14) All information, materials, services, intellectual property and other property and rights provided by BCA during the course are provided on an “as is” basis. BCA makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, as to any matter, and all such warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly disclaimed. 15) The materials supplied to the company and individual applicant for the course (“Materials”) are for their personal reference only and the company and individual applicant is not supposed to otherwise use the Materials. The company and individual applicant shall defend and indemnify BCA and its officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liability, damage, loss or expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) imposed upon BCA in connection with any claim arising out of the company and individual applicant’s use of the Materials. 15) Re-assessment fee is applicable for those who are required to re-take the assessment. 16) I consent to BCA, BCA Academy, and BCA’s employees contacting me via my contacts (including email addresses and mobile numbers) to market future courses, seminars, conduct surveys, circulate publications (i.e. magazines, periodicals etc). If you wish to withdraw your consent to any use or disclosure of your personal data as set out above, you may contact us. PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence and notices addressed to BCA are to be sent to BCA Academy. Photographs of attendees will be taken at the event for our publicity materials, newsletters and other publications.