Event code: 76012
All structures are to be supported on sound foundation for their safety and subsequent performance. A good understanding of the pile foundation design principles and construction practices is essential for every practitioner, designer, builder and supervisor involved so that structures will be built and maintained safely throughout the lifetime of the structure. This course aims to provide participants with an insight into the engineering principles of pile foundation design as well as good construction practices adopted locally with special emphasis on cast-in-place reinforced concrete bored piles in compression.
Site investigation and selection of geotechnical parameters for pile foundation
• Importance and adequacy of site investigation
• Selection and evaluation of geotechnical parameters
Behaviour of piles in compression and design considerations
• Pile design methods
• Design considerations
• Common problems
Conduct and interpretation of load test results
• Pile load tests
• Interpretation of load test results
• Common problems
Local piling practices
• Supervision requirements
• Common problems in pile construction
• Building Control Act and Regulations
ER. YANG KIN SENG was a former Director with the Building and Construction Authority, regulating and overseeing the safety of buildings and geotechnical building works under construction in Singapore, and headed the Singapore Geological Office. Er. Yang has also served with the now-defunct Public Works Department as Assistant Chief Civil Engineer, Head (Roads, Planning and Design) and Head of Geotechnical Engineering, Site Investigation, Instrumentation and Laboratories. He was the Chief Project Manager (Singapore) for the Singapore-Malaysia Second Crossing. He has published more than 40 papers in International conferences and seminars, and peer-reviewed journals. He co-chaired the SPRING (Singapore) Eurocodes Review Advisory Committee, and the Technical Committee on Civil and Geotechnical Works. He is a Professional Engineer and a Specialist Professional Engineer registered with the Professional Engineers’ Board, and a Specialist Accredited Checker whilst in Building and Construction Authority.
• Structural & Geotechnical Engineers
• Site Supervisory Personnel
• Resident Engineers
• Resident Technical Officers
• Site Engineers
• Construction Managers
• Others who would like an update on pile foundation practices
Certificate of Attendance (COA) will be awarded to participants who meet the attendance requirement.
IES-ACES: Pending (Structural)
30th Run: 17, 19, 24 & 26 Sep 2019
Duration: 4 evenings (12hrs lecture)
Time: 6.30pm to 9.30pm
Venue: BCA Academy
Fee (incl of GST): S$720.00
Refreshments will be provided.
In keeping with our green and sustainable practices, course notes will be available in e-format.
To register, please log into our Online StoreFront (OSF) at
and search for course code 76012
Download Brochure Here
If you need assistance, please call our customer service hotline: 6248 9999, from 8.30am to 5.00pm, Monday to Friday.
200 Braddell Rd S579700 • Fax: 6258 0558 • Email: email@example.com • www.bcaa.edu.sg
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1) The company and individual applicant has read and understood the terms and conditions. 2) The company and individual applicant warrant that the particulars given are accurate. 3) The Building and Construction Authority (BCA) can disclose to other government agencies any information relating to this application. 4) Payment for the course must be made to BCA before the course commencement date. 5) Any Direct Debit and Direct Credit Authorisation for GIRO applications previously signed and passed to BCA will apply to payments made under this course. 6) BCA reserves the right to accept or reject the application for whatever reason. 7) BCA shall at its discretion allocate a space to the registered applicant, based on availability. 8) BCA reserves the right to amend any details relating to the course, revise the course fees without prior notice, cancel or postpone the course. 9) No deferment is allowed. 10) Request for withdrawal must be made in writing. Requests are subject to approval by BCA and administration fee: Written request for withdrawal that reaches BCA - At least 2 weeks before the course commencement date: 10% of course fee is payable. - Less than 2 weeks but more than 3 working days before the course commencement date: 25% of course fee is payable. - 3 working days or less before the course commencement date: full course fee is payable. 11) No Replacement is allowed for funded participants. 12) The Continuing Professional Development (CPD) points indicated for any course offered by BCA is subject to change and final approval by the relevant professional accreditation bodies. 13) Funding and subsidies offered by BCA or third party organisations for the courses are subject to approval. The company must make the application for funding and subsidies. BCA is not to be held liable and the company agrees to pay BCA the applicable funding amount if funding and subsidies are either granted at a reduced amount, not granted at all or if funding is revoked, for whatever reason. 14) All information, materials, services, intellectual property and other property and rights provided by BCA during the course are provided on an “as is” basis. BCA makes no warranties of any kind, either express or implied, as to any matter, and all such warranties, including warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose, are expressly disclaimed. 15) The materials supplied to the company and individual applicant for the course (“Materials”) are for their personal reference only and the company and individual applicant is not supposed to otherwise use the Materials. The company and individual applicant shall defend and indemnify BCA and its officers, employees and agents from and against any and all liability, damage, loss or expense (including reasonable attorneys’ fees and expenses) imposed upon BCA in connection with any claim arising out of the company and individual applicant’s use of the Materials. 15) Re-assessment fee is applicable for those who are required to re-take the assessment. 16) I consent to BCA, BCA Academy, and BCA’s employees contacting me via my contacts (including email addresses and mobile numbers) to market future courses, seminars, conduct surveys, circulate publications (i.e. magazines, periodicals etc). If you wish to withdraw your consent to any use or disclosure of your personal data as set out above, you may contact us. PLEASE NOTE: All correspondence and notices addressed to BCA are to be sent to BCA Academy. Photographs of attendees will be taken at the event for our publicity materials, newsletters and other publications.